The Office for Budget Responsibility was created in 2010 to provide independent and authoritative analysis of the UK’s public finances. It is one of a growing number of official independent fiscal watchdogs around the world. We have 5 main roles:
- economic and fiscal forecasting to accompany the Autumn Budget and Spring Statement;
- evaluate the Government’s performance against its fiscal targets;
- assess the long-term sustainability of the public finances and analyse the public sector’s balance sheet;
- evaluate fiscal risks from 2017; and
- scrutinise tax and welfare policy costings at each Budget.
For more information, see our What we do page.